Depression is a very common symptom in our society.? Some people recognize it and others don’t even know they have it.? Men and women can experience very different types of symptoms.
Some of the typical symptoms of depression are
- Changes in mood
- Lack of interest in things that would usually make you happy
- Loss of self-esteem or motivation
- Agitation or restlessness
- Changes in weight, lack of appetite or increased appetite
- Inability to experience happiness
- Feelings of guilt
- Diminished ability to concentrate or think clearly
- Suicidal ideation with or without a specific plan
- Pain around the ribs
Using acupuncture and herbal formulas is a safe and effective way to deal with depression.? When the qi energy system is blocked or improperly balanced, depression can result. Chinese medicine often looks to the energy system of the liver when making a diagnosis of depression.? The Liver system is said to house the Ethereal Soul (that which is responsible for our aspirations, thoughts, projects in life, and relationships with other people.) But this is not always the case.? Careful attention must be paid to observing the complexion, eyes, voice, pulse and tongue of the patient.? Because no two people are the same, the signs and symptoms of a patient’s depression must be closely considered. The root cause must be determined and a careful treatment plan based on those individual symptoms is devised.