I applaud all of you who have taken time to pay attention to your mental health, to pay attention to what your spirit is telling you, to realize that this has a very real effect on the way your physical body feels.? Many of us wonder why, when knowing that our needs for food, clothing and shelter are met, we still feel anxiety and depression.
Well, we have some formidable obstacles in our world:
- We experience extreme fragmentations that define our everyday lives that have been inherited for more than one-hundred generations. We are living far away from nature (of which we are a part) and yet rarely experience.
- We only know a life known by our parents and grandparents, that expresses inhumanity and pathology of a dying social process and have great difficulty in imagining an alternative world.
- We are programmed by our institutions to accept miseries and we tend to remain loyal to the very political economic and cultural institutions that are detrimental to our health and our lives.
- We are living in a world that often robs us of love, respect and beauty, and requires escapes that easily become addictive.? We are provided with a variety: television, video games, alcohol, legal & illegal drugs, addictive foods, racism, sexism, just to name a few.
- We lack real political power by the vast majority, compared with the enormous power in the hands of the economic and political elite which creates a feeling of impotence and cultivates cynicism.
These obstacles are NOT insurmountable and we have the power to transcend all of these entrapments and to acquire a consciousness of great integrity for an alternative way of life.? Those of you who are exploring your minds and bodies are taking this step and it is a great privilege to work with you in achieving true health and happiness.
Leslie Prairie, L.Ac.